St. Charles, Illnois
On Thanksgiving Day, 1940, a 25-bed hospital opened in St.
Charles. The new facility was named Delnor Hospital after its
generous benefactors Dellora A. and Lester J. Norris. This beautiful
hospital featured interiors designed by nationally-known interior decorator,
Dorothy Draper; while the medical areas were equipped with the most up-to-date
technology of the time.
Over the years, the hospital expanded to 105 beds. Often referred to as
"The Baby Hospital," Delnor Hospital was well-known throughout Illinois.
Certainly the maternity window - an idea suggested by hospital administrator,
Cora Radke - with the latest additions to the Fox Valley on display, was one of
the most popular sites in St. Charles.
Dellora A. Norris
Lester J. Norris
Mrs. Norris was involved in virtually every step of the design and
construction of Delnor Hospital. The hospital was her dream and her legacy
to the community. When the hospital was completed in 1940, Mrs. Norris
served for 40 years as a board member; one of its most active and dedicated
Community Hospital 1925-1986
Delnor Hospital 1940-1986
The Merger of Community and Delnor Hospitals
Delnor-Community Hospital 1991-present